Across communities, our Care Vans® continue to deliver preventive health services wherever they are needed.
Ben Franklin once said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” What would he have said about more than 5,500 pounds of prevention? That’s the approximate weight of just one of our mobile health Care Vans® traveling throughout Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas to deliver preventive health services such as immunizations, blood pressure screenings, HIV testing, health education and dental services in underserved communities. Access to preventive health services can help stop disease and illness before they happen. Everyone can benefit through healthier homes, workplaces, schools and communities.
In 2016, our 23 Care Vans delivered 74,785 immunizations and 51,757 other health services to 148,214 clients. The Care Vans provided preventive care to uninsured and medically underserved children and adults through mobile outreach efforts that complement traditional clinics.
- In partnership with the Chicago Department of Public Health, the Illinois Care Vans provided flu vaccinations in all 50 wards within the city of Chicago.
- Flu shots and other services were given to homeless families at the grand opening of a tent city facility in Carlsbad, New Mexico.
- $20,000 was raised at the inaugural Big Shots ParTee to support the Texas Care Van Program.
- Montana’s Care Van provided flu shot clinics at five Helena-area schools during parent-teacher conferences.
- For the first time, the Oklahoma Caring Van program held more than 1,000 clinics, which served 53 of the 77 counties, or over two-thirds of Oklahoma counties.